Chocó rainforest | South America
- A unique combination of urban style luxury, remote rainforest location and impressive sustainability credentials
- The architecture ensures that you feel immersed in nature but cocooned at the same time – soundproof windows guarantee a restful night’s sleep and the clever design ensures no insects or other wildlife make their way inside the lodge.
- Fascinating science and conservation projects led by an international team of researchers that are happy to share their work with visitors
- A great location for curious children who can engage with conservation in a tangible way in the specially designed kid’s lab.
- The same biodiversity as the Amazon basin, but just 3.5 hours’ drive from Quito
- The combination of a tropical latitude with an elevation of around 1000m above sea level means that you can guarantee year-round pleasant temperatures of around 23C/77F. It also helps with acclimatization if you are heading to higher Andean regions afterwards.
- This is a region that receives a large amount of rainfall year-round (it is rainforest after all!). The rain is usually short showers and you also have sunshine most days. For this reason, we usually recommend stays of at least three nights to ensure you have a chance to enjoy all the activities. Night walks for example are one of our favourite excursions and these are cancelled if it is raining heavily.
- There is no swimming pool, but plenty else to keep you busy, including waterfalls you can swim in.
- The 3.5-hour transfer from Quito is on winding and bumpy roads for some of the way. But it is also incredibly scenic and a great way to see some of the Ecuadorean countryside.